Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The unit specific flex RN is an experienced clinician who functions at the Competent or higher stage of Benner`s model of clinical expertise, supporting a particular nursing unit and patient population. The unit specific flex RN provides direct patient care effectively and efficiently to a patient team which may include patients with varied and complex needs. The unit specific flex RN supports unit leadership and has responsibility to participate in unit and hospital initiatives, and possibly contribute to service line or hospital wide activities. Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospital`s Pillars of Excellence: People (providing direction and plans, leading and managing people, ICARE values) Service (patient/customer satisfaction, interpersonal effectiveness) Quality and Safety (making judgments and decisions) Finance (driving for performance excellence) Innovation and Growth (leading improvement and innovation, role-specific expertise)
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. LEADERSHIP a. Provides care to increasingly complex patients and coordinates with the interdisciplinary team. (Quality/Safety) b. Identifies and presents areas for improvement in patient care or unit operations and offers solutions by participating in unit projects and shared governance activities. (Growth/Innovation) c. Identifies leadership opportunities for professional growth of peers. (People) d. Provides input into patient care resource utilization, including unit capital. e. Contributes to meeting departmental financial target on unit-based scorecard. (Finance)
2. PATIENT/FAMILY-CENTERED CARE a. Develops and updates plan of care in partnership with the patient and family using the nursing process, incorporating the patient`s priorities and abilities. (Service) b. Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (Service) c. Supports patients and families in preventing/resolving clinical or ethical issues. (Service) d. Contributes to meeting departmental target for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (Service)
3. CLINICAL JUDGEMENT/CRITICAL THINKING a. Follows the nursing process, modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient`s condition, demonstrates clinical problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. (Quality/Safety) b. Plans for routine events and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations. (Quality/Safety) c. Contributes to meeting departmental targets for quality and safety measures on unit-based scorecard. (Quality/Safety)
4. COMMUNICATION a. Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner, lis10s and responds to the ideas of others. (People) b. Uses a structured format for regular communication with patients and families, such as hourly rounding. (Quality/Safety) c. Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the plan of care. (Service)
5. TEAMWORK a. Manages usual patient assignment and other unit demands, completes patient care responsibilities in timely manner with accurate documentation, organizes multiple priorities and anticipates/plans for potential problems. (Quality/Safety) b. Uses downtime efficiently, aware of team members` workload, consis10tly offers assistance, and responds positively to requests for assistance from other team members. (People) c. Supportive of change initiatives. Adapts to unexpected changes. (Growth/Innovation) (EF) d. Able to effectively acclimate themselves to various work schedules to achieve high quality care. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
6. SAFETY a. Reports ¿near misses¿ as well as errors promptly and consis10tly to improve systems and processes and identify trends. (Quality/Safety) (EF) b. Collaborates with staff from the interdisciplinary team concerning safety data to improve outcomes. (Quality/Safety) (EF) c. Implements unit and hospital initiatives to attain patient safety goals. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
7. EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE/RESEARCH a. Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Initiates evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on these observations. (Innovation/Growth(EF)) b. Identifies opportunity for practice changes. Researches the change and presents options to shared governance and leadership. (Quality/Safety) (EF) c. Assures that designated core measures are met in providing care. (Quality/Safety) (EF)
8. STAFF EDUCATION a. Identifies own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. (Growth/Innovation) (EF) b. Implements staff education specific to patient populations and unit processes; coaches and mentors other staff and students. (People) (EF)
9. Demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statement.
10. Demonstrates SERVICE PRIDE standards.
11. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor hazards.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing Bachelor`s degree required for new hires at TMH, preferred at TMH system hospitals.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS Minimum 2 years relevant Registered Nurse (RN) experience in an acute care hospital. Minimum of 2 years experience as a float nurse preferred.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED Registered Nurse with current nursing license to practice in the state of Texas Basic Life Support (BLS) for all nurses, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) for those floating to Intensive Care Unit (ICU), Emergency Room (ER), Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), Cath Lab and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) for those floating to PACU. All certification must be approved by the American Heart Association. Other certifications as required by unit/service.
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Must be able to perform skills and competencies as defined in orientation checklist and annual departmental competency checklist if applicable Basic computer skills. 2. Must be able to write and speak effectively in English Competencies, skills, training as listed in Policy NU-903, Competence of Nursing Staff and HR 07 Competency Assessment.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Registered Nurse II (RN) Post Anesthesia Care Unit
Houston Methodist St. John Hospital, Nassau Bay, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummarySUMMARY The RN II is a staff nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage ...
Charge Nurse - Pre-op/Post-op
Houston Methodist The Woodlands Hospital, The Woodlands, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryThe Charge Nurse is a Registered Nurse, who as an experienced clinician functions at the Competent stage of ...
Registered Nurse (RN) - PACU
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: VariesJob SummaryThis is a PRN position requiring 4 shifts per month. The unit specific flex RN is an experienced clinician who ...