Research Assistant - RNA Therapeutics - Brannan lab
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Academic Institute
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Aug. 7, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Research Assistant I position is responsible for providing technical research support in performing research experiments. Work could be performed in either a laboratory or office environment. Under direct supervision of the Principal Investigator (PI), the Research Assistant I assists in the organization, tabulation and analysis of data. This position maintains records of data collected.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 10%
- Actively participates in research planning meetings and provides meaningful contributions that drive decision-making and clearly identifies next steps. (EF)
- Demonstrates teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance achieve optimal department results. (EF)
- Uses peer-to-peer accountability towards improvement of department score for turnover/retention/employee engagement. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Performs technical laboratory research. (EF)
- Accurately follows technical instruction in setting up and conducting experiments, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analyses. (EF)
- Provides updates on assigned experiments and research outcomes. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Maintains records of all tests performed and data collected. (EF)
- Ensures safe operation of appropriate laboratory equipment. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations; contributes to meeting department and hospital targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Evaluates and reports on inventory levels. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
- Assists department management in product evaluations and utilization of existing products. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Participation in the development or establishment of new laboratory procedures, including biological assays, quantitative and qualitative analysis. (EF)
- Trains in new techniques as they emerge as appropriate. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a researcher. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor of Arts or Science in a related field
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o May be required depending on position, refer to addendum if necessary
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Works well in a team environment, as well as independently, with minimal supervision
o Ability to prioritize frequently, quickly shift tasks, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Work could be performed in either a laboratory or office environment.
The Houston Methodist Academic Institute team science approach bridges the boundaries between medical specialties and research and development labs to advance the practice of medicine and population health. We innovate in health care delivery and technology by streamlining the path discoveries take into the clinic with inventive development and adoption practices. Our teams are also dedicated to training clinicians and researchers from around the world in translational medicine and advanced technology. Houston Methodist's primary academic affiliates are top-ranked Weill Cornell Medical College and the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences for faculty appointments and graduate programs offered on our Houston campus.
The Institute oversees 600,000 sq ft of dedicated space and the administrative and operational infrastructure for basic and applied research and clinical trials, including more than 20 advanced tech core facilities, extramural funding management, regulatory and legal strategy and compliance, and product development and commercialization. This infrastructure is fully integrated with our hospital systems and supports more than 50,000 learners, 700 faculty, 2000 credentialed researchers, 6,000 research projects and clinical trials that creates innovative breakthroughs in human disease and the practice of medicine every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Opportunity: Houston Methodist Hospital (HMH), a beacon of excellence in patient care invites BC/BE Neurologists to apply for the position of Director of General Neurology within the Department of Neurology. With innovative and advanced treatment options, Houston Methodist is a neurological center of excellence and is nationally ranked #11 by US …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Network Engineer II position is responsible for routine installation, testing, analysis and support of all elements of the network facilities (including power, communications machinery, software, lines, modems, and terminals), ensuring stable network performance. Monitors and controls performance and status of the network resources. Utilizes software and …
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Sterile Processing Technician position is responsible for maintaining high standards for decontamination, assembly, inspecting, wrapping, and sterilization of surgical instruments and medical equipment for Surgical Services and all ancillary departments, which includes working in conjunction with the Operating Room (OR) staff to provide timely sterile …