Senior Cook - All Shifts Available - FT/PT/PRN Available - $1K Sign-On Bonus
4401 Garth Rd
Baytown, TX 77521
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Support Services
- Job Shift:
- All Shifts Available All
- Job Type:
- Work Week:
- All Schedules Available
- Posted Date:
- April 18, 2023
This posting covers multiple departments, multiple schedules, multiple shifts, and various managers. Qualified applicants will be interviewed for and considered for positions into units where their skills and interests are determined to be a best match.
At Houston Methodist (HM), the Sr Cook position is responsible for the preparation and cooking of entrees, side dishes and other specialty products using the recipe collection provided. In addition to performing the duties of the Cook position, this position prepares specialty dishes for catered events including physician dinners, employee recognition ceremonies, and other high profile events. The Sr Cook position must maintain adequate production to support the needs of the patients, café, catering functions, and doctor’s lounge. This position adheres with the HM Food and Nutrition Services Standards of Appearance and complies with relevant local Food Ordinances, reviewing and maintaining production records and cooling charts according to the Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HACCP) guidelines. The Sr Cook position may be asked to assist in other food and nutition service areas, as needed.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Interacts in a positive, professional manner with patients, family and staff. Communicates clearly and professionally to promote both work efforts and problem resolution. (EF)
- Notifies management appropriately with changes to menu items due to unforeseen events; i.e. spoilage, shortage, etc. (EF)
- Conducts self in a manner that is congruent with cultural diversity, equity and inclusion principles. Contributes towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%)%
- Cooks food products for patients, café, catering functions, and doctor’s lounge. Maintains high quality, proper temperatures and garnishes all plates. (EF)
- Coordinates with production and food service coordinators or other responsible role to ensure scheduled meal preparation and/or meal delivery. (EF)
- May assist in ordering and receiving of food deliveries. Transports food carts for meal service through corridors and elevators to food prep areas. (EF)
- Contributes to daily production meetings, keeping patient satisfaction and customer service standards a priority. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 30%
- Follows HACCP program to include: proper storage, prevent cross contamination, proper food storage, thawing, cooking, cooling, reheating temps, wrapping, labeling & date marking, documentation of food temps and cooler/freezer temperatures, correcting as appropriate. (EF)
- Prepares food, with knowledge of dietary restrictions, according to standardized recipes, menu, safe food handling and time schedule. Maintains proper storage and sanitation of all items in storage, refrigerators and freezers.(EF)
- Inspects all food for quality, freshness and appearance. Ensures all food beyond the expiration date is discarded. (EF)
- Maintains sanitation in work area to comply with all federal and state regulatory agencies, including local Health Department, Fire Department, DNV, etc., cleaning immediate work area concurrently and cleaning large equipment per posted cleaning schedule. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Practices good cost control through the proper use and storage of food, supplies and equipment. Minimizes food waste through proper usage. (EF)
- Utilizes resources with cost effectiveness and value creation in mind. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, assisting coworkers as needed. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Recommends new food items from the creation to making it a menu item. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to identify self-development needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.) preferred
o Two years food service/large quantity or volume cooking experience in healthcare or hotel setting
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Accredited food handler training course approved by the Texas Department of State Health Services (TXDSHS) or by the American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
o Serv Safe certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Ability to exercise sound judgment
o Ability to adapt to a changing work environment
o Strong knowledge of kitchen/food service equipment and sanitation principles
o Strong understanding of buffet receptions, upscale plated menu items, volume batch cooking
o Fundamental cooking techniques including braising, searing, etc.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Operates potentially hazardous equipment such as mixers, ovens, steamers, meat slicer, fryers, char broilers and cleaning chemicals.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area’s only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 226 operating beds, with 15 operating rooms and more than 1,700 employees. The hospital brings Texas Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group is currently seeking a full-time Structural Cardiologist to join our well established, thriving and dynamic team. Houston Methodist The Woodlands campus is rapidly expanding to meet the needs of a growing community. The successful candidate must be committed to providing unparalleled patient care with expertise …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Director Community Benefits position is responsible for supporting hospital system maintenance of nonprofit status within federal and state regulations of charity care laws and designing and managing programs designed to enhance the institution’s reputation as a socially responsible corporate citizen within the health care industry. …
Corporate, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Environmental Services (EVS) Representative position maintains environmental and infection control standards within established policies and procedures. This position performs a variety of general cleaning tasks in assigned areas to provide a safe and attractive environment for patients, guests, and staff in accordance with department standards.