Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
THIS POSITION IS PART-TIME
The primary responsibility of the Sr. Medical Assistant is to assist in the delivery of health care and patient care management for the primary care practice. This will include actively participating and supporting primary clinical teams with these efforts. The Medical Assistant will behave in a professional manner and consistently demonstrate and promote the core values of the organization. The Medical Assistant will work with and receive supervision from the physicians, nurse practitioners or physician assistants.
System and department specific ICARE values
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
Work as a member of the clinical team as a resource to the patients of the practice, this would include the following:
PEOPLE ¿ 30%
1. Prepare patients for examination and treatment by escorting them from the waiting area to the exam room
2. After visit summary review with patients whenever appropriate
3. Develop a workflow to ensure smooth transition of care for patients
4. Engage patients in activities to improve their health
5. Provide follow-up contact with patient as appropriate to ensure compliance with recommendations-medications, lab/x-ray, specialist visits, PCP visits, dieticians, CDE, etc.
6. Treat staff, physicians, patients and visitors with dignity and respect
7. Collaborate with the patients, physicians and other care team members is assessing the patients¿ progress toward individual health care goals
8. Treat staff, physicians, patients and visitors with dignity and respect
1. Assist with patient care in the health care continuum to achieve optimum outcomes in a safe and cost-effective manner
1. Complete pre-visit planning workflow prior to visit whenever possible, including completing and/or requesting appropriate documentation
2. Care coordination with hospital, ER, consulting physicians and/or community resources whenever appropriate
3. Responsible for obtaining and documenting vital signs, chief complaints, medication reviews and reconciliations and social history
4. Prepare, clean and maintain exam and treatment rooms, as well as supplies and equipment
5. Maintain accurate sample medication records
6. Administer medications per physician and/or provider order
7. Obtain blood samples as needed (Phlebotomy certification required)
8. Perform medication tracking per protocol
9. Assist in medication refills per protocol
10. Responsible for following protocol when providing telephone advice, as well as handling urgent and emergent calls
11. Provide consistent documentation of patient self-management measures and progress and ensure that the mutually agreed upon care plans are readily available to all parties involved
12. Maintain strict confidentiality
13. Monitor controls of CLIA waived tests
14. Regularly work within the inbox as per protocol and standards
1. Anticipate the needs of the specific patient population
2. Educate patients about self-management tasks they can undertake to gain greater control of their health status
1. Participate in professional development activities
This position description is not intended to be all inclusive, and the employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the immediate supervisor and other management as required. The Houston Methodist Hospital reserves the right to revise or change job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
High school diploma or its equivalent is required.
5-8 Years of experience with highly complex, chronic disease management or 5 years of highly complex experience
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Please list below the required and optional Licenses, Certifications and Registrations. If multiple licenses/certs/registrations are available specify the preferred license/cert for the job.
Required Certificates: American Heart Association BLS certification required
Optional Certificates: Certified from an accredited program and/or Registered Medical Assistant is preferred
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Knowledge of medical practice and care of patients
Knowledge and ability to assist with examinations, diagnostic and treatment procedures
Knowledge of medical equipment and instruments
Knowledge of common safety hazards
Ability to obtain vital signs
Skill in developing and maintaining clinical quality assurance
Ability to interpret, adapt and apply guidelines and procedures
Demonstrate a learning attitude toward solving problems-able to identify and resolve problems
Ability to maintain accurate medical records
Ability to use good reasoning and judgment
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, co-workers and the public
Demonstrate customer service skills to provide exceptional patient and family experiences
Ability to work with peers in a team situation
Provide safe patient centered, compassionate and competent care
Provide leadership for patient care teams and processes
Take the initiative to assist others
Ability to read, write and communicate effectively orally and in writing
Knowledge of basic arithmetic
Proficient in computer skills for documentation and work related purposes
Activity Checklist attached (see below)
Normal clinic conditions.
Some assignments may be in hospital units with typical hospital environmental hazards and concerns.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
With locations throughout the Greater Houston area, Houston Methodist Primary Care Group (HMPCG) is dedicated to providing quality patient care for the entire family. HMPCG is proud to be a part of Houston Methodist and its family of hospitals, ensuring efficient access to specialty and hospital services whenever the need arises. As members of the Greater Houston community, HMPCG is committed to the well-being of its patients, providing the right care at the right time in convenient locations throughout the Houston area.
Senior Medical Assistant- (St. John)
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1. Provides care to patients visiting the clinic under the direct supervision of a physician ...
Senior Medical Assistant- Primary Care (Woodlands)
Houston Methodist Primary Care Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryThe primary responsibility of the Sr. Medical Assistant is to assist in the delivery of health care and ...
Perioperative Nursing Assistant II - Surgery
Houston Methodist West Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Job SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe Perioperative Services Tech demonstrates basic knowledge and skills necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated tasks for ...