Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Nursing Assistant
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: May 27, 2022
At Houston Methodist, the Sr. Medical Assistant (MA) position functions as an expert and demonstrates highly competent knowledge in the more technical and advanced examinations and treatments necessary to communicate appropriately and carry out delegated medical assistant level tasks under the direct supervision Physician and/or Registered Nurse for assigned patient populations, for providing high quality support of patient care and services. This position oversees appropriate scope of practice (i.e. Hand Hygiene Validator, EMR super-user). The Sr. MA position assists with patient examinations, procedures, diagnostic studies, treatment, and dressing changes. This position also performs general administrative duties in accordance with CLIA, HIPAA, NCQA and government standards, as well as company policies and procedures. The Sr. MA position participates in patient care which is under the direction of a physician and within the scope of a medical assistant. This position may also be required to schedule patient appointments, ensure medical necessity compliance, and verify eligibility for care. Other duties for the Sr MA position include independently and expertly performing the duties and responsibilities of preceptor and clinical resource to MAs, training and orienting others as appropriate.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 25%
- Role models and promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole, by leading and initiating problem resolution within the work unit. Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. (EF)
- Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Teaches peers to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. (EF)
- Independently executes the duties and responsibilities of preceptor, serves as a clinical resource in the department, using advanced skills and competencies, guiding and mentoring colleagues' though processes in order to provide optimal patient care. Provides structured feedback with examples. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Provides care to patients visiting the clinic under the direct supervision of a Physician, Registered Nurse, or clinic leadership procedures, using cultural diversity and inclusion principles. Complete pre-visit planning workflow prior to visit whenever possible, including completing and/or requesting appropriate documentation. In collaboration with the provider team, anticipates the needs of the specific patient population. (EF)
- Communicates with patient, obtains and documents vital signs (i.e., pulse rate, temperature, blood pressure, weight, and height), chief complaint(s), preforms medication(s) review, discusses/reviews medical and social history (as appropriate). Documents, in patient's electronic medical record (EMR). care administered, all diagnostic measurements, treatments and procedures in accordance with established policies and. (EF)
- Follow-up with patient as appropriate to ensure compliance with recommendations, medications, lab/x-ray results, special visits, PCP visits, dieticians, diabetes educators, etc. Ensures patient utilization and activation of MyChart. (EF)
- Provides care coordination with hospital, ED, consulting physicians and/or community resources whenever appropriate to including handling patient inquiries. (EF)
- Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Reports observations, conditions and problems of patients to the physician and/or nurse. Recognizes abnormal clinical findings and reports them appropriately. Provides for the privacy of patients and families, keeping the safety of the patient in mind. (EF)
- Accurately performs routine tests on patients such as EKG, rapid strep, urinalysis, and urine pregnancy tests. (EF)
- Sterilizing instruments and equipment; prepare, clean and maintain exam and treatment rooms, as well as supplies and equipment. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Responsible for stocking exam rooms, taking inventory, and ordering supplies. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Role models effective time management and coordinates colleagues to meet the overall demands of the department. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 10%
- Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. Actively participates in professional development and the development of ongoing educational activities at a department-based level. (EF)
- Offers innovative solutions through participation in performance improvement activities. Completes and updates the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Five (5) years medical assistant experience with highly complex, chronic disease management or in a specialty discipline
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Medical Assistant Certification through an approved credentialing certification agency within one year of employment, i.e. American Association of Medical Assistant, American Medical Technologists, or Emergency Medical Technician.
- American Heart Association BLS
- Phlebotomy certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Knowledge of medical practice and care of patients and ability to assist with examinations, diagnostic and treatment procedures, knowledge of medical equipment and instruments
- Skill in developing and maintaining clinical quality assurance to maintain accurate medical records
- Demonstrate a learning attitude toward solving problems, using good reasoning and judgment
- Provide safe patient-centered, compassionate and competent care
- Proficient in computer skills for documentation and work-related purposes
- Completes required continuous training and education, including department-specific requirements. Maintain current certifications
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with patients, medical staff, co-workers and the public
- Ability to work with peers in a team situation
- Possess an understanding of the patient population as it relates to the clinical disease process
- Proficient in computer skills for documentation and work-related purpose
- Demonstrates advanced assessment competences appropriate for level of practice
|Other (dept approved)||Yes|
|On-Call* ||No (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside||No|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. In 2020, U.S. News & World Report named Houston Methodist Hospital to its top ranked Honor Roll for the fourth time and second consecutive year. 2020 also marked the ninth year in a row Houston Methodist Hospital has been named the No. 1 hospital in Texas. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 952 operating beds, 85 operating rooms and over 8,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
The same high-quality care for which Houston Methodist is known is available at several Emergency Care Centers in Houston and the surrounding areas. These Emergency Care Centers house exam rooms, full digital radiography suite, low radiation dose 16-slice CT scan, ultrasound and a full on-site stat chemistry lab.