Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 2, 2020
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Sr. Network Engineer position is responsible for leading routine and complex installation, testing, analysis and support of all elements of the network facilities (including power, communications machinery, software, lines, modems, and terminals), ensuring stable network performance. Independently monitors and controls performance and status of the network resources. Utilizes software and hardware tools, identifies and diagnoses problems and factors affecting network performance. Possesses and applies a expert knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures related to network technologies, to the completion of moderately difficult assignments. Troubleshoots networking and operating systems problems, providing technical assistance and resolution. Independently assesses network needs and designs solutions that conform to corporate standards for projects.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Communicates (oral and written) effectively with customers, vendors, colleagues, and management about services, contact information, system availability, and information. (EF)
2. Supports ITIL processes to help promote others to follow and conform to applicable policies, procedures, and processes. (EF)
3. Leads internal and external projects and/or problem resolution tasks. (EF)
SERVICE - 35%
1. Administers all assigned network and/or UC technologies. Maintains and Supports core and data center layer technologies. (EF)
2. Leads and/or coordinates multiple technology projects including organization wide Network, Unified Communication (UC), Cabling, Audio/Visual, and new construction. (EF)
3. Resolve complex network issues related but not limited to WAN, LAN, Voice, and other infrastructure related problems (EF).
4. Serves as a mentor to junior staff (EF).
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Leads quality control testing, policy implementation, and assists in training more junior staff. Assists in diagramming and design of network infrastructure (EF)
2. Provides problem resolution, technical analyses, costs and resource estimates, work plans, workflow documentation, and progress reports on assigned projects. (EF)
3. Document network designs, problems, root cause analysis, and disaster plans and makes recommendations for improvement.(EF)
4. Tunes network systems to achieve optimal performance and reliability. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
1. Role models good time management, good assessment in professional decision making, and recommends solutions that minimize cost(s) and align with organizational objectives. Helps minimize cost(s) by assisting and recommending solutions in achieving organizational objectives. (EF)
2. Supports department leadership in the development of Bill of Materials for projects and tech refreshes. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
1. Stays abreast of emerging technology trends and s out innovative technologies that provide solutions to new ideas, trends, and concepts and improve workflow, production, efficiency, and effectiveness.
2. Proactively manages own professional development and completes Individual Development Plan (IDP)(EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
o Minimum 6 years experience of progressive data network engineering experience. Healthcare and Project Management experience preferred.
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o CCIE recommended. CCNP or other Network professional certification required. If a Sr. Network Engineer candidate has previously held a professional certification that is currently expired they must recertify within 6 months of hire.
Once proof of initial certification requirements are cleared, further tracking of certification is not required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Expert understanding of subnetting, VLAN's, and address schemas.
o Expert knowledge of networking concepts.
o Expert experience with PCs, servers, and Cisco network switches and VOIP.
o Expert knowledge of routing. (i.e. gateway, subnet mask, RIP, EIGRP, IGRP)
o Expert understanding of DNS, DHCP, and WINS protocols.
o Expert understanding of WAN protocols.
o Expert understanding of Voice protocols.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist (HM) is one of the nation’s leading health systems and academic medical centers. HM consists of 7 hospitals: Houston Methodist Hospital, its flagship academic hospital in the heart of the Texas Medical Center and six community hospitals throughout the greater Houston metropolitan area. HM also includes a research institute, a global business division, numerous physician practices and several free standing emergency rooms and outpatient facilities. Overall, HM employs over 20,000 employees. FORBES magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of Best Employers in 2016. Houston Methodist is supported by a wide variety of business functions that operate at the system level to help enable clinical departments to provide the best patient care and service in a spiritual environment.
Senior Applications Analyst -Research Technology
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Senior Application Analyst position is responsible for expert level support and configuration of assigned …
Senior Applications Analyst - LIS
Corporate, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Senior Application Analyst position is responsible for expert level support and configuration of …
Application Analyst - Research Technology
Houston Methodist Research Institute, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Application Analyst is responsible for intermediate level support and configuration of assigned applications, high …