Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Surg Tech
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: June 16, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Senior Surgical Technologist position requires proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position works independently, exercising sound judgement, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse or surgeon. In addition to performing the duties and responsibilities of a Surgical Technologist, the Senior Surgical Technologist position will provide mentoring and guidance for Surgical Technologist positions, utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship-centered care in concert with the Methodist Values. Other duties for the Senior Surgical Technologist position will include general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example. (EF)
- Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples. Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others. (EF)
- Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Assists in prepping the operating room for the next patient. Anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure before surgeon scrubs. Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line. (EF)
- Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by passing instruments and supplies for surgical procedures, performing competently the role of the surgical technologist in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, CV, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures. (EF)
- Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts. (EF)
- Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
- Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during pre and post procedures. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of the room. (EF)
- Organizes the work flow effectively, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision. (EF)
- Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team. (EF)
FINANCE - 20 %
- Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery. Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
- Participates in department projects and shared governance activities. May co-chair a unit-based Shared Governance Council. (EF)
- Acts as resource in surgical technology for the department on other hospital committees. (EF)
- Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise in competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
- Two years as a Surgical Technologist
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support
- Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association, National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT) or meet the grandfather clause.
Grandfather clause (Bill 643): The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Demonstrates independence and exercises sound judgment in interactions with physicians, interprofessional care team and patients and their families
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge and appropriate use of hospital database such as EPIC. Ability to access information both in the department and within the hospital system
- Strong knowledge in use of procedure software
- Demonstrates proficient knowledge of instruments sets, the use of the individual surgical instruments, surgical supplies and the use of the supplies
- Demonstrates appropriate skills of sterile technique
- Demonstrates competency in decontamination and use of autoclave equipment. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment and supplies following surgical procedure
- Demonstrate expertise and serves as a clinical resource in a minimum of one or more surgical specialty service lines
|Other (dept. approved) ||No|
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above. Travel**
|May require travel within ||No|
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.