Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Jan. 22, 2021
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
At Houston Methodist, the Service Line Administrator position is responsible for all strategic initiatives and activities of a specific service line. This position will lead collaborative conversations and interacts with key leaders including department chairs, president and CEOs of all entities, physicians, etc. to promote the business growth of the service line(s) including all functional activities in coordination with provider practice leaders, under the direction of the Executive Vice President. The Service Line Administrator position serves as the first point of contact and is the trusted liaison between the entity physicians, executive administration and leaders. This position creates a strategic business plan and budget; collaborates with department administration for recruitment of Medical staff and scientists. The Service Line Administrator position partners with business development, researchers and scientists to tie academic, research and clinical practice work into service line strategic planning. This position autonomously exhibits ability to know what needs to be achieved then drives functional responsibilities to accomplish objectives of the service line(s). The Service Line Administrator position takes initiative to reduce variation in service line(s) by standardizing processes/workflow across system entities. This position ensures quality oversight and benchmarking necessary to achieve top quartile expectations for service line performance. The Service Line Administrator position strategically analyzes external and internal data, ensuring our business and strategic objectives are achieved to remain competitive. This position develops, manages, and oversees key strategies for expected outcomes in all areas related to the clinical, education, and research programs of the service line in collaboration with leadership counterparts.
This position also ensures training, monitoring and operations initiatives are implemented which secure compliance with ethical and legal business practices and accreditation/regulatory/government regulations.
PATIENT AGE GROUP(S) AND POPULATION(S) SERVED
Refer to departmental "Scope of Service" and "Provision of Care" plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
o Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
- INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
- COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
- RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
- EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
o Focuses on patient/customer safety
o Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
o Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
o Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
o Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
o Displays cultural humility, diversity, equity and inclusion principles
o Actively supports the organization vision, fulfills the mission and abides by the I CARE values
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Directs, develops and implements strategic and operational/high level projects and processes either through independent/highly autonomous work or through the facilitation of work teams to enable the effective and efficient completion of objectives. (EF)
2. Oversees management of and ensures development for staff to meet overall objectives in terms of quality, service and cost effectiveness. Provides timely guidance and feedback to help others strengthen specific knowledge/skill areas needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem. Directs management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees. (EF)
3. Provides leadership and communication to maintain a competent and engaged employee group by conducting regular department meetings to review policies and procedures and operational matters, rounding on all employees, completing performance appraisals, conducting new hire feedback sessions, coaching/corrective counseling, and providing recognition/commendations to achieve desired outcomes. (EF)
4. Identifies opportunities and takes action to build strategic relationships between one¿s area and other areas, teams, departments, and units to achieve business goals. Drives the promotion of teamwork within and between departments; participates and/or leads and facilitates department process improvements as needed. (EF)
5. Through effective written and verbal communication, leads collaborative conversations and interacts with key leaders including department chairs, president and CEOs of all entities, physicians, etc. Serves as the first point of contact and the trusted liaison between the entity physicians, executive administration and leaders, displaying confidence to navigate discussions and engage in difficult conversations with department chairs, physicians, leaders, etc. for positive outcomes. (EF)
6. Effectively partners with business development, researchers and scientists to tie academic, research and clinical practice work into service line strategic planning. Understands the dynamics of various groups and physicians and uses political savoir-faire to put together multi-disciplinary/interprofessional groups from all entities to achieve system service line outcomes. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
1. Oversees department operations, designated projects, schedules and activities as needed to ensure that goals or objectives are accomplished within the prescribed time frame. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction. (EF)
2. Drives department service standards and activities to impact department and/or system score for patient/customer-based satisfaction, through role modeling and fostering accountability. Serves and actively participates on various entity committees as a voice for the department. (EF)
3. Functions independently to implement and drive program development and coordination across all system hospitals through strong relationships. Completes a strategic business plan, budget and resource planning for the service line(s), working closely with each entity in identifying and prioritizing the service line's administrative, clinical, and resource needs.
4. Collaborates with department administration for recruitment of Medical staff and scientists. (EF)
5. Autonomously exhibits ability to know what needs to be achieved then drives functional responsibilities to accomplish objectives of the service line(s). Drives performance and direction to customer service orientation throughout the entity service lines. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
1. Ensures a safe and effective working environment; monitors and/or revises the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory required safety guidelines. Responsible for staff maintenance of credentials and competencies, per accrediting/ licensing agency and/or department guidelines as applicable. (EF)
2. Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of safe outcomes and information systems by monitoring and improving the department workflow and enhancing operations, using peer-to-peer accountability and identifying solutions via collaboration. Implements process improvements utilizing tools such as lean principles. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. (EF)
3. Responsible for employee compliance to policies and procedures and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., licensure/certification compliance, focal point review requirements, disaster plan, in-services, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.). (EF)
4. Leads strategic planning for the Service Line regarding operations and new program development. Gathers and manages market intelligence for the service line to facilitate new recruitment and business development. Develops short and long-range strategic and tactical business plans for the service line. (EF)
5. Ensures quality oversight and benchmarking necessary to achieve top quartile expectations for service line performance. Strategically analyzes external and internal data, ensuring business and strategic objectives are achieved to remain competitive. (EF)
6. Develops, manages and oversees key strategies for expected outcomes in all areas related to the clinical, education, and research programs of the service line, in collaboration with leadership counterparts. Takes initiative to reduce variation in service line(s) by standardizing processes/workflow across system entities. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
1. Develops and manages department operational and capital budgets, approvals, and ongoing maintenance of the department(s), ensuring operation in a cost-effective manner. Proactively identifies and plans for capital needs related to current equipment and future department projects. Ensures staffing plans and schedules meet department needs that reflect understanding of the importance of cost-effectiveness. (EF)
2. Creates department strategies to achieve financial target and staffing needs, through optimizing productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications. (EF)
3. Develops long-range projections and financial plans, maintains appropriate analyses, and recommends necessary adjustments to service line at a system level. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Identifies and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department, entity or system operations by leading unit projects and/or other department/ system-directed activities. Proactively leads task forces and committees. May represent HM at assigned community or professional organization meetings. (EF)
2. Drives change initiatives, maintaining effectiveness when experiencing major changes in work responsibilities or environment; adjusts effectively to work within new work structures, processes, requirements or cultures. Partners effectively with stakeholders as appropriate. (EF)
3. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates the My development plan on an on-going basis. Conducts conversations with staff on their development. (EF)
4. Maintains proactive awareness of the ever-changing environment of healthcare, carrying out extensive research, evaluating results, making recommendations on the best approach and initiatives to take to streamline its service line(s) and operations. (EF)
5. Determines innovative strategies to achieve the service line vision, implementing tactics to meet/exceed service line goals. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Master¿s degree in Business or Health Care Administration
o Seven years in health care with experience in health care administration or a closely related field with five years of progressively responsible management experience, preferably in an academic and/or medical setting. For internal applicants, six years HMH-specific experience may be considered
o Experience in a physician organization or clinical practice setting preferred
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
o Fellows of the American College of Healthcare Executives (FACHE) certification preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially about activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one¿s intentions and those of the organization
o Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and techniques to gain acceptance of ideas or plans; modifying one¿s own behavior to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals involved
o Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative and effective interpersonal skills and oral/written communication skills
o Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities, comparing data from different sources to draw conclusions; using effective approaches for choosing a course of action or developing appropriate solutions; taking action that is consistent with available facts, constraints and probable consequences
o Extensive knowledge of regulatory and accreditation agency requirements that impact department; stays abreast of industry changes
o Demonstrates highly effective communication skills¿strong written communications and platform presentation abilities
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
o Capable of leading teams/facilitating groups, building consensus and garnering highest confidence in professionalism and work product by senior leadership
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities; highly responsive and solution/action oriented
o Proficiency in spreadsheet, word processing, and presentation software
o Maintains a positive and supportive attitude and demeanor
o Professional handling of exposure to confidential/sensitive information
o Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques involved in administering a multi-faceted service line
o Ability to hold people accountable to achieve objectives and have crucial conversations when appropriate with key stakeholders
o Demonstrated ability to lead others to common organizational goals and objectives and able to mentor and develop others in the organizations to foster positive employee engagement
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
On-Call* Yes, as required by entity/department for operational need
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside Yes
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Since its founding in 1919, Houston Methodist Hospital has earned worldwide recognition. Houston Methodist Hospital is affiliated with the Weill Medical College of Cornell University and New York-Presbyterian Hospital, one of the nation's leading centers for medical education and research. Houston Methodist is consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Hospital” list and was recently named the number one hospital in Texas. FORTUNE magazine has placed Houston Methodist on its annual list of “100 Best Companies To Work For” since 2006. Houston Methodist Hospital directs millions of research dollars into patient care and offers the latest innovations in medical, surgical and diagnostic techniques. With 1,119 licensed beds, 67 operating rooms and over 6,000 employees, Houston Methodist offers complete care for patients from around the world.
Project Specialist - DSRIP
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Project Specialist position provides analytical and specialized technical support to department management as well …
Operations Project Analyst - Transplant Administration
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Operations Project Analyst position is responsible for providing administrative support to the department by …
Service Line Administrator - GI Service Line - Sugar Land
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Full TimeJob Summary01/2021JOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Service Line Administrator position is responsible for all strategic initiatives and activities of a …