Social Worker I / (Fri - Sun OR Sat - Mon) 12 hr shifts
18220 State Highway 249
Houston, TX 77070
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Case Management/Social Work
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 21, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Social Worker I (SW I) position provides comprehensive, compassionate, clinical social work and discharge planning to patients and their families of a targeted patient population on a designated unit(s). In collaboration with physicians and the interprofessional health care team, this position sensitizes other health care providers to the social and emotional aspects of a patient's illness to facilitate efficient, quality care and achievement of desired treatment outcomes. The SW I position holds joint accountability with Case Manager for discharge planning and continuity of care, assuring that psychosocial issues are addressed and treated as needed across the continuum of care.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 15%
- Communicates in an active, positive and effective manner to all health care team members and reports pertinent patient care and family data in a comprehensive and unbiased manner; listens and responds to the ideas of others. Uses therapeutic communication to establish a relationship with patients and families and communicates the discharge plan, facilitating transitions and hand-offs. Supports patients and families in clinical or ethical issues. (EF)
- Uses patient and family-centered approach in collaboration with interprofessional health care team. Facilitates discharge planning activities for assigned patients and collaborates with the case manager and other members of the interprofessional health care team, as well as patient and family. Maintains ownership of the psychosocial component, assessments, diagnosis and treatment, of the discharge planning process on assigned units. (EF)
SERVICE - 30%
- Serves as a unit-based participant for comprehensive case management activities including assessing patients and collaborating with team to identify at-risk patients, participating in daily Care Coordination Rounds, and identifying any barrier(s) of efficient patient throughput. (EF)
- Develops and implements a comprehensive psychosocial treatment plan utilizing appropriate clinical social work diagnoses, treatments and interventions, including crisis intervention, brief individual, marital and family therapies, and patient, family and caregiver groups. Assists with screening, identification, diagnosis, management and treatment of victims of abuse, neglect, and domestic violence and of mental health and/or substance abuse problems in patients and family members. (EF)
- Completes a full assessment based on the social work assessment, identifying social determinants of health. Completes screening by patient/family interview, review of the medical record including previous episodes of care, H&P, lab and other test results/findings, plan of care, physician orders, nursing and progress notes. Uses clinical knowledge and screening tools to identify need for case management and/or social work intervention. (EF)
- Establishes mutual educational goals with patient and family, provides appropriate resources, incorporating planning for care after discharge. (EF)
- Uses knowledge of levels of care, working with patient and family, to ensure discharge disposition is to the appropriate level and facilitates transfers. Provides brief, goal-directed counseling services to assist patients/families to cope more effectively with the transition. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Modifies care based on continuous evaluation of the patient's condition, using problem-solving and critical thinking, and makes decisions using evidence-based analytical approach. Documentation reflects completed patient screening/assessment and reassessment upon admission and concurrently, as needed. Considers variables that impact treatment plans including diagnosis of emotional, social, and environmental strengths and problems related to their illness, treatment and/or life situation. (EF)
- Continuously reviews the patient for opportunities for care facilitation and needs for discharge planning. Works with case manager for routine discharge and anticipates/prevents and manages/elevates emergent situations with specific focus given to discharge plan and elimination of psychosocial barriers. (EF)
- Collaborates with staff from the interprofessional health care team concerning safety data to improve outcomes and the safe transition of care through effective patient handoffs (EF)
FINANCE - 25%
- Completes timely and thorough assessment on all unfunded patients to identify community resources required for effective transition and able to utilize alternative resources to fill gaps in established community resources. (EF)
- Establishes an effective community resource knowledge base and the judgment/ability to effectively select and coordinate available resources, including referrals to regulatory agencies, i.e. CPS/APS. (EF)
- Provides timely, effiicient pertinent patient information to healthcare team when coordination with significant or intensive resources is necessary for effective discharge planning outcomes and decreased length of stay. (EF)
- Provides education to unit-based physicians, nurses, and other healthcare providers on community resources and psychosocial impact on care needs. (EF)
- Identifies areas for improvement based on understanding of evidence-based practice literature. Assists in evidence-based practice/performance improvement projects based on observations by offering solutions and participating in unit projects and activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Master Degree in Social Work
- 0 years of experience
- New graduate with hospital internship preferred
- One year hospital social work experience preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) or higher license in the State of Texas
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Knowledge of community resources and health care financial and payer issues, and eligibility for state, local and federal programs (acquired within 6 months of hire)
- Collaboration, negotiation, and mediation skills
- Progressive time management and prioritization skills
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills at all times
- Well versed in computer skills of the entire Microsoft Office Suite (Access, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and Word)
- Maintains individual competencies around critical Social Work functions including payor rules and regulations, psycho-social assessments and discharge planning methods.
- Maintains level of professional contributions as defined in Career Path program
|Other (dept approved)||No|
|On-Call*||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
|May require travel within||Yes|
|Houston Metropolitan area|
|May require travel outside||Yes|
|of Houston Metropolitan area|
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________
Since 2000, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been serving Northwest Houston residents. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is a comprehensive acute care facility and has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program®. With 358 operating beds, 20 operating rooms and more than 2,300 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital provides comprehensive, personalized care for patients in Champions, Tomball, Magnolia, Spring and Cypress.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …