Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F PRN
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. PSYCHOSOCIAL EVALUATION
a. Performs psychosocial evaluations of patients and families in order to consider all variables that may impact treatment plans and outcomes. b. Analyzes complex data and assesses social and emotional functioning as well as patient/family adjustment to illness/ disability as it impacts patient treatment, recovery and discharge plans. c. Demonstrates knowledge of and ability to apply age-related issues as they impact treatment, recovery, compliance and discharge plans. d. Demonstrates knowledge of, sensitivity to and the ability to apply cultural, socio-economic and religious factors as they may impact patient and family.
2. DISCHARGE PLANNING/TRANSITION MANAGEMENT a. Building on the evaluation process, develops, coordinates, implements and revises treatment/discharge plans for complex patients to ensure good transitional management and continuity of care. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of all levels of post-acute care. b. Involves patient/family in all treatment and discharge plans. c. Provides information to patient/family in a way that is clear, understandable and age-appropriate.
3. PATIENT/FAMILY COUNSELING a. Establishes a therapeutic relationship.b.. Provides brief, therapeutic, goal-directed counseling services to assist patients/ families to cope more effectively and make decisions. c. Identifies and uses appropriate treatment theories. d. Appropriately and effectively applies crisis intervention theory and skills.
4. KNOWLEDGE AND UTILIZATION OF COMMUNITY RESOURCES a. Demonstrates an effective knowledge base and the judgment and the ability to effectively select and coordinate available community resources including referrals to regulatory agencies. b. Demonstrates the ability to mobilize alternative resources to fill gaps in established community resources. c. Appropriately utilizes the Resource Center to assist with complex discharges and intensive community resources. d. Provides consultation to case managers and healthcare team when coordination with significant or intensive community resources is necessary to achieve desired treatment outcomes.
5. MULTIDISCIPLINARY COLLABORATIVE COMMUNICATION EF a. Develops effective partnerships with healthcare team members. Demonstrates collaboration and teamwork with case managers assigned to their units. b. Participates fully and effectively in patient care and discharge planning meetings. c. Actively participates in multi-disciplinary communication and team building on assigned units and department. d. Demonstrates ability to communicate and negotiate with all levels of the organization and community with documented information and recommended solutions.
6. MEDITECH/CHART DOCUMENATION a. Completes accurate, timely, pertinent, and legible medical record documentation consis10t with department procedures. b. Utilizes MEDITECH to facilitate communication, transitions, and hand offs. c. Completes accurate, timely, pertinent discharge planning information in MEDITECH
7. PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY a. Builds an effective social work practice in assigned areas. b. Manages multiple tasks effectively through use of prioritization and time management skills. Demonstrates critical thinking skills. c. Demonstrates constructive use of supervisory feedback. d. Treats all individuals with dignity and respect and demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statements
8. OTHER a. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. b. Performs other duties as assigned.
Masters Degree in Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education accredited Graduate School
Minimum of 2 years social work experience in a health care setting.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
State of Texas Social Work license
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
1. Knowledge of community resources - Knowledge of health care financial and payer issues, and eligibility for state, local and federal programs.
2. Computer skills - Advanced oral and written communication skills.
3. Collaboration, negotiation and mediation skills.
4. Time management and prioritization skills
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Director Care Management and Social Work
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Full TimeJob SummaryHouston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital is seeking a Director of Care Management and Social Work. The Director provides operational ...
Social Worker I Lung Transplant
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAs an entry level Social Worker I (SW I), with the support of more tenured Social Workers, comprehensively ...
Social Worker I - LMSW - Days
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary**PRN**SUMMARY Provides clinical social work and complex discharge planning to patients and their families. Holds joint accountability with ...