Work Shift: PRN-WORK AS NEEDED
Work Week: M-F, Weekends-days varies
THIS IS A PRN DAY POSITION
SUMMARY: Provides clinical social work and complex discharge planning to patients and their families. Holds joint accountability with case manager for facilitating psychosocial and continuing care. Works collaboratively with physicians, case managers and multidisciplinary team to effect positive patient and family outcomes.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. PSYCHOSOCIAL EVALUATION: Performs psychosocial evaluations of patients and families in order to consider all variables that may impact treatment plans and outcomes. Analyzes complex data and assesses social and emotional functioning as well as patient/family adjustment to illness/ disability as it impacts patient treatment, recovery and discharge plans. Demonstrates knowledge of and ability to apply age-related issues as they impact treatment, recovery, compliance and discharge plans. Demonstrates knowledge of, sensitivity to and the ability to apply cultural, socio-economic and religious factors as they may impact patient and family.
2. DISCHARGE PLANNING/TRANSITION MANAGEMENT: Building on the evaluation process, develops, coordinates, implements and revises treatment/discharge plans for complex patients to ensure good transitional management and continuity of care. Demonstrates knowledge and understanding of all levels of post-acute care. Involves patient/family in all treatment and discharge plans. Provides information to patient/family in a way that is clear, understandable and age-appropriate.
3. PATIENT/FAMILY COUNSELING: Establishes a therapeutic relationship. Provides brief, therapeutic, goal-directed counseling services to assist patients/ families to cope more effectively and make decisions. Identifies and uses appropriate treatment theories. Appropriately and effectively applies crisis intervention theory and skills.
4. KNOWLEDGE AND UTILIZATION OF COMMUNITY RESOURCES: Demonstrates an effective knowledge base and the judgment and the ability to effectively select and coordinate available community resources including referrals to regulatory agencies. Demonstrates the ability to mobilize alternative resources to fill gaps in established community resources. Appropriately utilizes the Resource Center to assist with complex discharges and intensive community resources. Provides consultation to case managers and healthcare team when coordination with significant or intensive community resources is necessary to achieve desired treatment outcomes.
5. MULTIDISCIPLINARY COLLABORATIVE COMMUNICATION: Develops effective partnerships with healthcare team members. Demonstrates collaboration and teamwork with case managers assigned to their units. Participates fully and effectively in patient care and discharge planning meetings. Actively participates in multi-disciplinary communication and team building on assigned units and department. Demonstrates ability to communicate and negotiate with all levels of the organization and community with documented information and recommended solutions.
6. MEDITECH/CHART DOCUMENATION: Completes accurate, timely, pertinent, and legible medical record documentation consistant with department procedures. Utilizes MEDITECH to facilitate communication, transitions, and hand offs. Completes accurate, timely, pertinent discharge planning information in MEDITECH.
7. PROFESSIONAL ACCOUNTABILITY: Builds an effective social work practice in assigned areas. Manages multiple tasks effectively through use of prioritization and time management skills. Demonstrates critical thinking skills. Demonstrates constructive use of supervisory feedback. Treats all individuals with dignity and respect and demonstrates the componets of the ICARE values statements.
8. OTHER: Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS: Masters Degree in Social Work from a Council on Social Work Education accredited Graduate School.
EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS: Minimum of 2 years social work experience in a health care setting.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED: State of Texas Social Work license
SPECIAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED 1. Knowledge of community resources. 2. Knowledge of health care financial and payer issues, and eligibility for state, local and federal programs - Computer skills. 3. Advanced oral and written communication skills. 4. Collaboration, negotiation and mediation skills. 5. Time management and prioritization skills.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Methodist is firmly bound. Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Methodist on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, physical or mental disability, medical condition, ancestry, marital status, age, sexual orientation, citizenship, genetic information or status as a Vietnam-era veteran or special disabled veteran.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened its doors to Northwest Houston in December 2000. In May 2010, a major expansion on the 52-acre campus doubled the size of the hospital, brining more expertise, more state-of-the-art technology and more specialized care to the community. With 251 licensed beds, 14 operating rooms and over 1,400 employees, Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital was specifically designed to provide comprehensive, personalized care for the community.
Social Worker II
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, Baytown, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary01/2014POSITION SUMMARYAs a Social Worker II (SW II), the individual comprehensively provides clinical social work and complex discharge ...
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary01/2014POSITION SUMMARYAs an entry level Social Worker I (SW I), with the support of more tenured Social Workers, ...
Social Worker I
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary04/2014POSITION SUMMARYAs an entry level Social Worker I (SW I), with the support of more tenured Social Workers, ...