Sr Communications Specialist Marketing
4401 Garth Rd
Baytown, TX 77521
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Nov. 20, 2023
At Houston Methodist, the Senior (Sr.) Communications Specialist position is responsible for developing proactive hospital and executive communications, leading engaging internal communications strategies and executing external reactive and proactive communications and media relations by effectively cultivating and nurturing media relationships. The Senior Communications Specialist will develop communications strategies to ensure stakeholders achieve goals and meet objectives by producing clear, concise, and engaging content while utilizing editorial skills in writing, proofreading, and editing. The Senior Communications Specialist will build and maintain strong relationships with internal clients including the executive team.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Collaborates with hospital leadership, human resources, departmental management, physicians, and stakeholders to conceptualize, develop, and implement internal and external communication initiatives that support the organization and achieve goals. (EF)
- Prepares executives, physicians, and other stakeholders to respond to media through the utilization of professional writing styles, and messaging for specific audiences. (EF)
- Provides guidance and develops relationships with all audiences, including executives, corporate marketing, corporate public relations, digital or web as appropriate. Collaborates with corporate colleagues on systemwide initiatives. (EF)
SERVICE - 35%
- Proactively develops public and media relations strategies and tactics, writes and edits press releases, media alerts, and story pitches to effectively communicate key messages to journalists and drives local hospital/physician reputation. Supports other communications representatives with production; develop questions/scripts and coordinate interviews for key personnel. (EF)
- Develops and implements measurable, hospital- or physician-specific communication initiatives that support the organizational strategy. Develops and manages reporting on internal communication performance and assessment of local media reports. (EF)
- Writes, proofreads, and edits hospital newsletters and/or magazine articles, crisis communications, special correspondence, promotional materials, and other communication pieces. (EF)
- Works to ensure timely and effective content deployment at all times. Meets writing and content development deadlines to ensure quick turnarounds in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Collaborates with setting standards and creating best practice guidelines for internal users, and ensures content conforms to established standards. (EF).
- Responds timely to inquiries and deadlines and acts as a brand steward, ensuring all messaging, copy and other content is within brand voice and editorial guidelines. (EF)
- Develops clear, concise and accurate communications and talking points; fact-checking content prior to leadership review. (EF)
- Maintains communication databases and manages internal communications platforms. (EF)
FINANCE - 10%
- Ensures timely submission of invoices; tracks and adheres to budgets for assigned projects.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Proactively seeks opportunities to improve internal communications and media strategy. (EF)
- Seeks out innovative trends to address internal and external audiences. Continuously applies learnings and best practices to improve efficiency of content development and deployment process. (EF)
- Proactively problem solves when challenges present themselves. Participates in hospital or system committees as needed. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Bachelor’s degree in Communications, English, Journalism, or related field
o Six years experience related to media relations, copywriting or communications
CERTIFICATIONS, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Professional writing experience and demonstrated proficiency in proofreading and copy-editing skills, as well as a thorough knowledge of contemporary editorial practices (AP Style) and strong editorial judgment.
o Ability to work under pressure and balance many competing priorities in an organized manger.
o Demonstrated initiative in managing projects and communication with stakeholders.
o Proficiency with Microsoft office applications and other desktop publishing apps.
o Ability to translate health care information to consumer audiences.
o Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
o Ability to work both independently of and cooperatively with team members.
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional Yes
Other (dept approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within Yes
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: _________________________
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area’s only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. Houston Methodist Baytown houses 226 operating beds, with 15 operating rooms and more than 1,700 employees. The hospital brings Texas Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting nursing assessments, assisting …
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Sr Polysomnographic Technologist position is an experienced and fully competent Polysomnographic Technologist who works under the general supervision of clinical/medical director or designee to provide for comprehensive evaluation and treatment of sleep disorders. This position performs advanced duties including the scoring of sleep studies and …
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner’s model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, …