Animal Care Technician Supervisor - Comparative Medicine
6670 Bertner Ave
Houston, TX 77030
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Leadership Management
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Jan. 8, 2024
At Houston Methodist, the Supervisor Comparative Medicine Program (CMP) position is responsible for coordinating all elements required to successfully deliver exceptional care and ensure compliance with Comparative Medicine Program Standard Operating Procedure, and deliver quality research support and health care for laboratory animals. This position provides direct supervision of technicians which includes managing and creating schedules, and assists with oversight and training of staff to ensure compliance with institutional and accrediting/regulatory agencies. The Supervisor CMP position's duties also include workflow/work process issue resolution, mentoring of staff, feedback on staff performance, data analysis and reporting, special projects and other responsibilities of a similar nature and level.
The supervisor position responsibilities include overseeing the daily work activities of the work unit/department staff, ensuring quality, productivity, functional excellence and efficiency. This position trains and supervises staff while maintaining adequate staffing levels and budget compliance. The supervisor position contributes to staffing decisions such as hiring, coaching and counseling employees on work related performance. This position assists in the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure a safe and effective work environment. Other duties for the supervisor position include participating in performance improvement activities, as well as providing support for department management to achieve operational goals. This position may also perform staff duties and responsibilities as needed.
- Participates in management responsibilities of selection, scheduling, supervision, retention, and evaluation of employees in the department. Provides development and mentoring of staff. Ensures that all department staff are properly trained and comply with all policies and procedures. Assists with meeting or exceeding threshold goal for department turnover.
- Consults with department leadership on coaching/corrective counseling and staff performance to achieve desired outcomes. Conducts new hire feedback sessions and provides recognition/commendations, as appropriate.
- Creates and maintains an environment of collaboration by role modeling teamwork within the department. Effectively interacts within and between departments ensuring seamless flow of information/communication. Role models clear and professional communication to facilitate problem resolution to achieve mutual understanding. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up consistently.
- Meets or exceeds threshold goal for department and/or system metrics on employee engagement indicators: action readiness score, tier level.
- Functions as a mentor, assisting in team members' development of skills and provides training for CMP technicians on procedures and departmental Standards of Practice as needed.
- Prepares, maintains and monitors staffing levels, tasks, on-call, training, and time-off schedules.
SERVICE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Oversees daily department operations, schedule and activities. Sets priorities and functional standards, giving direction to staff as necessary to ensure the best possible delivery of service and high customer/patient satisfaction.
- Organizes the workflow, proactively problem solves, anticipates needs, and manages multiple ongoing priorities. Provides reports to management of needs, issues to be addressed, and all important information necessary to ensure department success. Serves and actively participates on various committees as directed.
- Provides and emphasizes high-quality customer service and outcomes for staff and engages in research activites in order to be an integral part of the team.
QUALITY/SAFETY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Ensures a safe and effective working environment; assists in monitoring and/or revising the department safety plan and/or any specific accreditation/regulatory agency required safety guidelines.
- Uses and optimizes information systems to enhance operations; participates in performance improvement and data management/analysis functions as directed.
- Employs a proactive approach in the optimization of positive outcomes by monitoring and improving the department workflow, supporting peer-to-peer accountability, and identifying solutions via collaboration. Role models situational awareness, using teachable moments to improve safety. Participates in investigations as a result of the root cause analysis process as assigned by manager.
- Monitors self and ensures employee compliance with policies, procedures, and System HR Standards of Practice and performs associated actions upon non-compliance (i.e., focal point review requirements, disaster plan, inservices, influenza immunization, wage and hour, standard hours, timely termination submission, timely timecard approval, etc.).
- Maintains accurate inventories and initiates orders for supplies and equipment.
FINANCE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Assists in the management of essential and non-essential department expenditures to achieve financial target through optimization of productivity, supply/resource efficiency, minimizing incidental overtime and overtime percentage, and other areas according to department specifications.
- Manages staffing needs including scheduling, time off requests and time keeping.
GROWTH/INNOVATION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Implements change, demonstrating the ability to motivate employees and follow through to ensure change in behavior has actually occurred. Supports Houston Methodist and department goals and vision. Identifies industry trends and implements innovative solutions for practice or workflow changes to improve department operations.
- Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving competencies, performance and outcomes. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging staff/team members in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives. Conducts conversations with staff on their development and individual development plan (IDP).
- Seeks opportunities to identify self developmental needs and takes appropriate action. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. Completes and updates My Development Plan on an on-going basis.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- Bachelor's degree required
- Four years of relevant animal-related experience, of which one year must have been in a role with progressive leadership responsibility
- LAT - Laboratory Animal Technician (AALAS)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate through a variety of channels with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles; engages the recipient(s) and helps them understand and retain the message
- Demonstrates the ability to interact with others in a way that gives them confidence in one's intentions and those of the organization
- Demonstrates leadership qualities and critical thinking through self-direction initiative, effective interpersonal skills, and oral/written communication skills
- Ability to identify and understand issues, problems and opportunities; and recommend solutions
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
- Uniform Yes
- Scrubs Yes
- Business professional No
- Other (department approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. DIsaster, Severe Weather Events, etc) regardless of selection below.
- On Call* No
**Travel specifications may vary by department**
- May require travel within the Houston Metropolitan area Yes
- May require travel outside Houston Metropolitan area No
The Houston Methodist Academic Institute team science approach bridges the boundaries between medical specialties and research and development labs to advance the practice of medicine and population health. We innovate in health care delivery and technology by streamlining the path discoveries take into the clinic with inventive development and adoption practices. Our teams are also dedicated to training clinicians and researchers from around the world in translational medicine and advanced technology. Houston Methodist's primary academic affiliates are top-ranked Weill Cornell Medical College and the Weill Cornell Graduate School of Medical Sciences for faculty appointments and graduate programs offered on our Houston campus.
The Institute oversees 600,000 sq ft of dedicated space and the administrative and operational infrastructure for basic and applied research and clinical trials, including more than 20 advanced tech core facilities, extramural funding management, regulatory and legal strategy and compliance, and product development and commercialization. This infrastructure is fully integrated with our hospital systems and supports more than 50,000 learners, 700 faculty, 2000 credentialed researchers, 6,000 research projects and clinical trials that creates innovative breakthroughs in human disease and the practice of medicine every day.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …