Houston Methodist Hospital
6565 Fannin St
Houston, TX 77030
Category: Surg Tech
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: Oct. 14, 2021
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Technologist position requires novice to competent knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position records data established by policy and procedure and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse. The Surgical Technologist position, under the direction of the surgeon, assists the surgeon and/or surgical assistant during the operative procedure by carrying out tasks including but not limited to sponging, suctioning, cutting suture, and holding retractors. This position provides general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel. The Surgical Technologist position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices, relationship-centered care in concert with the Houston Methodist Values.
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20 %
- Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Communication to promote both work efforts and problem resolution is clear and professional. (EF)
- Contributes to a positive work environment with the interprofessional care team to achieve optimal department results. Participates in teamwork by responding positively to requests for assistance. Collaborates to foster healthy relationships in the work environment. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole. (EF)
SERVICE - 25%
- Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Gathers all instruments and supplies for each assigned procedure and ensures that the set-up is ready before surgeon scrubs. (EF)
- Supports the surgeon during surgical procedures, performing the surgical tech role in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to, as appropriate: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures. (EF)
- Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts. (EF)
- Accurately communicates updates surgeon preference cards. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 25%
- Prepares the operating room for surgical procedures, ensuring that surgical equipment is functioning properly and safely. (EF)
- Maintains the sterile field for surgical procedures by preparing sterile supplies, instruments, and equipment using sterile technique. Assists with the care of instruments, equipment, and supplies following surgical procedure. (EF)
- Reports observed variances in practices, established hospital and department policies, procedures, and standards to department management. (EF)
- Contributes towards meeting quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional health care team. (EF)
FINANCE - 15%
- Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks, minimizing incidental overtime. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members. (EF)
- Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery does not waste supplies. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 15%
- Identifies and assumes responsibility of own learning needs, consults with healthcare team experts and seeks continuing education opportunities to meet those needs. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond novice competencies with a focus on continual development. (EF)
- Participates in department projects and shared governance activities. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- High School diploma or equivalent education (examples include: GED, verification of homeschool equivalency, partial or full completion of post-secondary education, etc.)
- Successful completion of an accredited Surgical Technology program or military training equivalency
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- American Heart Association Basic Life Support
- Certification by the Surgical Technologist Association or National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT)
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations.
- Demonstrates understanding of medical terminology.
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
- Knowledge of surgical procedures, case progression, pertinent observations, and possible complications
- Demonstrates knowledge and competent use of procedure equipment and instruments sets and use of various surgical instruments
- Demonstrates knowledge of surgical supplies, use of and restocking of supplies
- Demonstrates appropriate skills of sterile technique
- Demonstrates competency in decontamination and use of autoclave equipment
|Other (dept. approved) ||No |
|On-Call* ||Yes, on a regular basis (for Non-Exempt or Exempt jobs)|
|*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (i.e. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc.) regardless of selection above.|| |
| || |
|Travel** || |
|May require travel within ||No|| |
|Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|May require travel outside ||No |
|of Houston Metropolitan area|| |
|**Travel specifications may vary by department. || |
|Please note any other special considerations to this job: __________________________|| |
Based in the Texas Medical Center, Houston Methodist Hospital is delivering on a mission started in 1919, which continues today – bringing quality, integrity, compassion and innovation into everything we do. As the flagship hospital of Houston Methodist, Houston Methodist Hospital is a nationally recognized medical center with a history of health care innovation. Houston Methodist Hospital was awarded Magnet recognition for nursing excellence for a fourth consecutive time by the ANCC. In addition, Houston Methodist Hospital was recently named by U.S. News & World Report as one of the country’s top 20 hospitals and was also ranked the No. 1 hospital in Texas for the fifth consecutive year.