Category: Surg Tech
Job Type: Full-Time
Posted Date: July 24, 2020
Work Shift: DAY
JOB SUMMARY: At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Technologist II position requires proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the safe and efficient operating room support functions and related procedures. This position works independently, exercising sound judgement, and reports observations and patient problems to the licensed nurse or surgeon. In addition to performing the duties and responsibilities of a Surgical Technologist I, the Surgical Technologist II position will provide mentoring and guidance for Surgical Tech I positions, utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others. This position is responsible for assigned non-nursing functions and practices relationship-centered care in concert with the Methodist Values. Other duties for the Surgical Technologist II position will include general patient care and department upkeep as delegated by licensed personnel. This position will pick case carts for surgical procedures in addition to scrubbing in on some surgical cases.
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS:
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
PEOPLE - 20 %
1. Promotes a positive work environment that actively assists the interprofessional health care team to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the interprofessional health care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. Facilitates open, professional, communication to achieve mutual understanding, role modeling by example.
2. Teaches others to critically think by verbally expressing rationale for decisions and follows up, providing structured feedback with examples. Serves as the department preceptor for new surgical technologists utilizing skills and knowledge, helping to train and orient others.
3. Facilitates teamwork by anticipating the need for assistance and responding positively to requests for assistance. Makes contributions to the work effort as a whole.
SERVICE - 20%
1. Assists in prepping the operating room for the next patient. Anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure before surgeon scrubs. Prepares room, equipment and supplies to accommodate planned procedures. Maintains and accurately communicates updates for surgeon preference cards within the applicable service line.
2. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon and nursing staff by passing instruments and supplies for surgical procedures, performing competently the role of the surgical Technologist in the provision of surgical assistance during a variety of surgical procedures including but not limited to: orthopedics, gynecology, general, ENT, ophthalmology, urology, CV, spine, neurology, oral/maxillofacial, and minimally invasive procedures.
3. Assists the circulating RN with the sponge, instrument, needle, and other surgical counts.
4. Role models behaviors and skills, through peer-to-peer accountability, towards improving department score for patient satisfaction on unit-based scorecard.
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20 %
1. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during pre and post procedures. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of the room.
2. Organizes the work flow effectively, problem-solves, and manages multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision.
3. Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care. Contributes to identification of corrective actions and improvement activities towards improving quality and safety targets on the unit-based scorecard, through peer-to-peer accountability, reporting near misses, and collaborating with the interprofessional healthcare team.
FINANCE - 20 %
1. Organizes time effectively, minimizing incidental overtime, and sets priorities. Utilizes time between heavy workloads efficiently and helps other team members.
2. Maintains efficient use of surgical supplies and minimizes opening of supplies until confirmation that will be used during surgery. Makes recommendations for cost containment during cases.
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20 %
1. Participates in department projects and shared governance activities. May co-chair a unit-based Shared Governance Council.
2. Acts as resource in surgical technology for the department on other hospital committees.
3. Proactively seeks opportunities to enhance knowledge and learning towards expertise in competencies with a focus on continual development.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED:
Grandfather clause (Bill 643): The bill includes an extensive grandfather clause exempting all individuals employed to practice surgical technology in a health care facility before Sept. 1, 2009. The clarification notes that legislation does not state employed "on" Sept. 1, 2009, but rather "before that date. A surgical technologist who was employed before Sept. 1, 2009, may remain employed as a surgical technologist without meeting the certification requirement.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Surgical Technologist II - Labor & Delivery
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: Works three shifts per week from 6:45 a.m. - 7:15 p.m.; requires four 12-hour weekend shifts (Friday or Saturday nights) per …
Surgical Technologist II - Labor and Delivery - Nights
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: NIGHTWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYAt Houston Methodist, the Surgical Technologist II (L&D) position requires proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry …
Surgical Technologist II - Orthopedics
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryThe Surgical Technician II demonstrates proficient knowledge and skills necessary to carry out delegated tasks associated with the …