Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
The Ultrasound Technologist II is an experienced Technologist who completes a variety of routine to complex diagnostic Ultrasound procedures to include common and special ultrasound exams of high difficulty. A member of the direct patient care team, is fully competent in all aspects of ultrasound exams. Serves as a mentor to Ultrasound Technologist Is and students by utilizing skills and knowledge to help train and educate others*. Works independently exercising sound judgment and executing above average clinical skills on challenging diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. Provides direct assistance to physicians with all diagnostic / special procedures. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to ultrasound exam standards and guidelines established by radiology agencies to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service. Note: some duties and responsibilities may not be applicable or expected to a lesser degree for PRN status employees; evidenced with an * at the end of the item.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Select the applicable age group(s) of primary customers/patients served by this position.
Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
Preschooler (3-6 years)
School Age (6-12 years)
Adolescence (12-18 years)
Young Adult (19-40 Years)
Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provides personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Duties and Responsibilities are cross-referenced to the hospitals Pillars of Excellence and will be transferred to the Performance Evaluation. Please include % breakout of tasks/essential functions.
1. Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner. EF
2. Guides and mentors Ultrasound Technologist Is and students to help build confidence in skills, knowledge and abilities*.
1. Performs diagnostic Ultrasound procedures to include common and special US exams. Ultrasound exams use high-frequency sound waves to capture images. EF
2. Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various ultrasound imaging concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired imaging results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes. EF
3. Provides direct assistance to physicians during diagnostic or special procedures, including assisting with sterile technique.
1. Follows Imaging and Ultrasound safety standards and conducts all imaging procedures accordingly. Properly utilizes patient radiation protection and immobilization during diagnostic procedures. Maintains proper sterile techniques for procedures, regularly practices aseptic techniques, and ensures compliance with infection control procedures. Complies with job, departmental and hospital safety standards, practices and policies. EF
2. Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations, and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety. Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends.
3. Ensures all imaging equipment has had QC performed as required and is in safe working order prior to use. Reports any malfunctions to management and regularly practices preventive maintenance procedures; calls for service if needed. EF
4. Assists with implementation and education of departmental based safety initiatives and standards of practice*.
1. Provides accurate and complete documentation of patient procedures. Enters charges at the time service is delivered. EF
2. Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
1. Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities*.
2. Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Technologist.
3. Fosters a positive and constructive teaching environment by engaging students and co-workers (US Technologist Is) in learning opportunities that are valuable and in alignment with business objectives*.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of a CAAHEP (Commission of Accreditated Allied Health Programs) approved Ultrasound Program or successful completion of ARDMS Registry exam
At least 3 years experience as an Ultrasound Technologist (if a Breast Center Ultrasound Tech must have at least 3 years breast ultrasound experience and competencies at the advanced level).
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
- * American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- BR), Breast (BR) credential earned prior to June 30, 2010 will be accepted as referenced in ACR guidelines
- NOTE: If functioning solely as a Breast Ultrasound Tech II then only required to have American Registry for Diagnostic Sonography (ARDMS- BR), Breast (BR) credential earned prior to June 30, 2010 will be accepted as referenced in ACR guidelines
American Heart Association BLS
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
to perform the Essential Functions of the Job
Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills and competency assessments
Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult diagnostic procedures and patient care situations. Demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills.
Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Radiology Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers.
Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving.
Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist San Jacinto Hospital, located 35 miles southeast of Houston, is the area's only full-service hospital offering specialized medical care for patients at every stage in life. This 392 licensed bed hospital with 18 operating rooms, and over 1,400 employees, brings Medical Center excellence and quality care close to East Harris and surrounding counties.
Radiology Technologist I
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary05/2016JOB SUMMARYThe Radiologic Technologist I completes a variety of routine diagnostic radiology procedures to include X-ray, OR and ...
Lead Front Office Clerk - Days
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryDUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES 1. Assists in developing and evaluating processes that pertain to clerical duties in department. Must ...
Echo/Vascular Sonographer- Woodlands
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe Echo/Vascular Sonographer is an experienced sonographer who regularly, versus occasionally, performs a variety of routine and ...