Category: Leadership Management
Job Type: Full-Time
Work Shift: DAY
Work Week: M - F
This position exists to ensure Nursing and Clinical services are directed by a nurse executive who has the authority and responsibility for establishing standards of nursing practice, approving nursing policies and procedures, and upholding standards of patient care. Ensures direction and oversight of clinical functions and activities for all nursing departments as well as Imaging, Cardiology, Pharmacy, Laboratory, Respiratory, Quality Management, Infection Control, Care Management, Clinical Education, Risk Management, Wound Care and Infusion departments. Develops and directs the implementation of, and ensures compliance with Standards of Patient Care that promote optimum health care delivery. Is knowledgeable of social, economic, and regulatory issues affecting the health care system including DNV and HIPAA. The CNO, in concert with other nursing and clinical leaders, participates with the governing board, medical staff,and management to plan, promote, and conduct organization wide performance improvement activities.Participates in preparation and presentation of issues to the Board of Trustees and Medical Executive Committees.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
¿ Not applicable
¿ Neonate (Birth to 28 days)
¿ Infants/Toddlers (29 days to 18 months)
¿ Toddler (18 months to 3 years)
¿ Preschooler (3-6 years)
¿ School Age (6-12 years)
¿ Adolescence (12-18 years)
¿ Young Adult (19-40 Years)
¿ Middle Adult (40-65 Years)
¿ Mature Adult (65 years and older)
HOUSTON METHODIST EXPERIENCE EXPECTATIONS
I. Provide personalized care and service by consistently demonstrating our I CARE values:
INTEGRITY: We are honest and ethical in all we say and do.
COMPASSION: We embrace the whole person including emotional, ethical, physical, and spiritual needs.
ACCOUNTABILITY: We hold ourselves accountable for all our actions.
RESPECT: We treat every individual as a person of worth, dignity, and value.
EXCELLENCE: We strive to be the best at what we do and a model for others to emulate.
II. Focuses on patient/customer safety
III. Delivers personalized service using HM Service Standards
IV. Provides for exceptional patient/customer experiences by following our Standards of Practice of always using Positive Language (AIDET, Managing Up, Key Words)
V. Intentionally rounds with patients/customers to ensure their needs are being met
VI. Involves patients (customers) in shift/handoff reports by enabling their participation in their plan of care as applicable to the given job
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
PEOPLE - 20%
1. Demonstrates organizational commitment, ethical and professional behavior including: Serves as a role model for system ICARE values and ServicePride standards to staff, physicians and patients (EF).
2. Approves standards to measure, assess and improve patient outcomes.
3. Adheres to principles of HM Business Practices program. Maintains appropriate confidentiality of privileged information.Executes all other duties as assigned.
SERVICE - 20%
1. Develops clinical and ancillary programs and related activities including:
Defining and monitoring plan of Nursing Care for the hospital.
Developing clinical protocols, procedures and service programs to enhance clinical outcomes and customer satisfaction with care and service (EF)
2. Demonstrating innovation/creativity in care-delivery design and program development (EF)
3. Collaborates with Senior Leadership, Corporate and Hospital Leadership Team to ensure consistency in application of standards and procedures (EF)
4. Participates in committees or task forces as required.
QUALITY/SAFETY -20 %
1. Facilitating cross-training/ongoing education to maximize efficiency and enhance quality of care and follows all required safety procedures.
1. Facilitating development and implementation of interdisciplinary quality improvement and service programs (EF)
2. Ensures adherence to quality goals and performance. (EF)
3. Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and
corrects minor safety hazards.
FINANCE -20 %
1. Plans, budgets and directs clinical operations to ensure outcomes are consistent with hospital goals and objective.
2. Hiring, developing and supervising management staff (EF) Analyzing and implementing plans to correct budget variances (EF) Managing to budget goals/objectives (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
1. Ensuring compliance with relevant state and federal regulations and accreditation standards (DNV, HIPAA etc.) (EF)
2. Develops short, intermediate and long-range goals (EF)
3. Defines plan of nursing care for the hospital (EF)
4. Collaborates with appropriate governing body, management, medical staff and other clinical and managerial leaders in developing, implementing, reviewing, revising, and monitoring organizational wide performance improvement activities. (EF)
5. Participates in activities to promote professional growth/development.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Graduate of an accredited school of nursing and of a Master's program with a Master's
Degree in nursing, business, or a related field. If a Master¿s degree is not in nursing, then either a baccalaureate or higher degree must be in nursing.
A minimum of 8 years general hospital experience with responsibility for clinical and clinical support areas. 5 years of progressively greater middle and upper level leadership experience. Significant experience in working effectively with physicians.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIRED
Must be licensed as an R.N. in the State of Texas .
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Must be a strategic thinker and demonstrate knowledge of organizational strategies and objectives. Must have ability to work in a high-stress environment and have demonstrated ability to routinely manage large numbers of complex, conflicting, high-priority initiatives
¿ Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security.
¿ Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles.
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital opened in December 2000 to serve the comprehensive health care needs of the growing community in Northwest Houston. The 312 bed hospital has 17 operating rooms, and more than 1,900 employees. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has been named a Magnet recognized health care facility by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s (ANCC) Magnet Recognition Program® and was ranked No. 8 in the Houston metro area and No. 19 in Texas by U.S. News & World Report as a “Best Hospital” in 2016. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital is Northwest Houston's regional leader in robotic minimally-invasive surgeries and specializes in cardiology and cardiovascular services, neurology, neurosurgery, orthopedics and sports medicine, and comprehensive cancer services. Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital has a Breast Care Center, Cancer Center, Imaging Center, Infusion Center, Sleep Center, Surgical Weight Loss Center and operates the largest Childbirth Center in the greater Northwest Houston area.
Director Central Practice Operations
Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryAt Houston Methodist, the Director Central Practice Operations is responsible for providing efficient and effective practice operations in ...
Director of Nursing-Critical Care Services
Houston Methodist Willowbrook Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob Summary4/2017JOB SUMMARYThe Director of Nursing is responsible for the 24-hour management of the assigned nursing units and departments ...
Director Business Development
Houston Methodist Hospital, Houston, TX
Work Shift: DAYWork Week: M - FJob SummaryJOB SUMMARYThe Director, Business Development is responsible for increasing outpatient and inpatient utilization of hospital services by educating ...