Whether you choose the year-round MAPP SPN program offered for Houston area students or the summer MAPP SPN program specifically for students outside the Houston and Galveston region, you will experience hands-on training while working side by side with registered nurses in direct patient care.
MAPP is a paid position with students assigned to work in a nursing department within Houston Methodist.
The assimilation into the health care setting will prove invaluable to students as they begin their nursing careers. Individuals who successfully complete the MAPP program will be better prepared to meet the demands and challenges facing tomorrow's nurses.
MAPP students are required to work 24 hours a month for the year-round program and up to 40 hours a week for the summer externship. For participating in the program, student nurses can expect:
- A competitive salary with shift differentials
- Paid orientation
- Housing assistance - for summer program only
- Unlimited voluntary participation in Houston Methodist Hospital educational opportunities (unpaid)
- Discount tickets to local and regional special events
Upon completion of the MAPP program, student nurses in their last semester of nursing school will have the opportunity to be among the first candidates to interview for a full-time, paid position as a Houston Methodist graduate nurse resident.
As a part of the Houston Methodist nursing team, MAPP students will also have access to the rich educational opportunities at Houston Methodist Hospital including:
- Online programs
- Nursing grand rounds
- Continuing education opportunities
- Professional development
- Extended clinical opportunities such as working with nurse practitioners, clinical educators and members of the interdisciplinary team
- Rotation of up to three units of interest
Applications for the MAPP year-round internship are accepted in the fall with an October deadline. Applications for the MAPP summer internship are accepted each spring with a January deadline. Space is limited to the top qualified candidates and is directed toward outstanding individuals who have a passion for administering quality health care. Specific requirements must be met for consideration into the program:
- Currently enrolled in a nursing baccalaureate program
- Have and maintain a cumulative nursing GPA of 3.2 minimum
- Completed one semester in the nursing program, including the fundamentals course work (two semesters for summer externship)
- Able to work up to 40 hours a week for summer program
- Work a minimum of 24 hours a month for year-round program
- Hold a current Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers certification through the American Heart Association
How to Apply
Applications Must Include:
- Preference summary sheet
- Interest essay
- Faculty recommendations from two of the candidate's clinical instructors
The completed application must be submitted prior to the deadline as publicized online to:
Houston Methodist Hospital
Jo-Anne Senneff, MSN, RN, CCRN-K
MAPP Program Leader
6565 Fannin, MGJ 11-002
Houston, TX 77030-2707
Houston Methodist Hospital looks forward to helping you map out your career path. No matter which direction your journey leads you, we are committed to partnering with you every step of the way.