APP Professional Development Leader- Physician Organization (Medical Center)
- Job Ref:
- Talent Area:
- Job Shift:
- 1st - Day
- Job Type:
- Posted Date:
- Jan. 30, 2024
At Houston Methodist, the Advanced Practice Provider (APP) Professional Development Leader position is responsible for the design, development, coordination, implementation, and evaluation of a high-quality advanced practice education and training curriculum and materials to support learning, development, and ongoing professional growth of Advanced Practice Providers across the entity/system. This position leads and coordinates interprofessional activities focusing on advanced clinical practice, education, research, and incorporating evidence into practice. This position establishes educational and training objectives and designs programs in a variety of formats which incorporates the use of technology and simulation, adult learning principles, change management, and evidence-based best practices to meet objectives. The APP Professional Development Leader will deliver these programs utilizing their foundational knowledge and training as an Advanced Practice Provider.
- Promotes and contributes to a dynamic, team-focused work environment that actively helps Advanced Practice Providers achieve optimal department/organization/system results.
- Partners with department leadership to define educational and professional development priorities of service line/specialty department. Builds partnerships across the system and strives for consensus in practice.
- Builds interprofessional relationships to effectively collaborate with multiple departments to enhance professional advanced practice and performance.
- Serves as a role model and mentor of others in the development of evidence-based decision-making. Coaches advanced practice providers to grow in knowledge, abilities, skills, and attitudes across the continuum of professional development.
SERVICE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Develops timely and efficient onboarding process, orientation, professional development related to the department/service line, and competency requirements.
- Conducts system/organizational assessments and analyzes results (utilizing department metrics, dashboards/scorecards, interprofessional rounds, patient satisfaction scores, employee satisfaction scores, and staff surveys) to develop strategic professional development plans and leads activities/initiatives to meet needs.
- Accountable for advanced practice educational and training activities/program(s) including the development, implementation, evaluation, outcomes and revisions/redesigns including on-time reports with actionable items.
- Ensures accessibility and availability of education and training programs to appropriate providers. Ensures the educational programs meet/exceed the customer's expectations.
QUALITY/SAFETY ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Collaborates with departments and other stakeholders to provide/integrate educational and training services to promote unparalleled patient safety and quality outcomes.
- Proactively identifies, facilitates/leads and implements research, evidence-based practice and/or performance improvement projects.
- Ensures activity/program integrity by incorporating evidence-based practices, change management principles and current educational theory in designing programs/services.
FINANCE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Collaborates with leadership to develop programs/services and curricula, within the approved budget with recognition of return on investment and/or cost avoidance. Appropriately allocates and utilizes resources.
GROWTH/INNOVATION ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Promotes a spirit of inquiry by utilizing research and the dissemination of new knowledge to advance clinical practice and patient care. Participates in the development, implementation, evaluation, and revision of the standards of advanced clinical practice patient care.
- Develops proposals for implementation of new programs, projects, and/or research, facilitating growth using innovation techniques, teaching strategies and learning methodologies.
- Expands individual advanced practice knowledge, completing and updating the individual development plan (IDP) on an on-going basis. Develops and disseminates, as appropriate, informational/educational resources and programs designed to improve quality and advanced professional practice.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
- For NP: Masters of Science in Nursing
- For NP: Doctor of Nursing Practice (DNP) or Doctor of Philosophy in Nursing (PhD) preferred Or
- For PA: Graduate from accredited Physician Assistant program by National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants (NCCPA)
- For PA: Doctor of Medical Science (DMSc) or Doctor of Science in Physician Assistant Studies (DScPAS) preferred
- 5 years total of advanced practice clinical experience with 2 years in a professional development role
- RN - Registered Nurse - Texas State Licensure and/or Compact State Licensure -- For NP within 90 days or
- RN-Temp - Registered Nurse - Temporary State Licensure -- For NP within 90 days and
- APRN - Advanced Practice Registered Nurse - Texas Board of Nursing -- For NP and
- Magnet - ANCC Recognized Certification -- For NP: as a Nurse Practitioner, based on applicable patient population, i.e. Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP), NeonatalFor NP: Nurse Practitioners (NNP), Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP) or
- AANP - Credentialed member, American Academy Of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) -- For NP: as a Nurse Practitioner, based on applicable patient population, i.e. Family Nurse Practitioner (FNP), Adult Gerontology Nurse Practitioner (AGNP), NeonatalFor NP: Nurse Practitioners (NNP), Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner (PMHNP), Women's Health Nurse Practitioner (WHNP) or
- PA - Physician Assistant - State Licensure -- For PA: Licensed and credentialed by the Texas Board of Physician Assistants and
- PA-C - Physician Assistant (NCCPA) -- For PA and
- AP - Prescriptive Authority - Texas Board of Nursing -- For NP and PA and
- BLS - Basic Life Support (AHA) -- For NP and PA and
- ACLS - Advanced Cardiac Life Support (AHA) -- For NP and PA
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
- Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
- Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
- Acts as effective change agent
- Demonstrates strong assessment, organizational and problem-solving skills as evidenced by the capacity to prioritize multiple tasks and role components
- Demonstrates expert time management skills
- Ability to facilitate a working team
- Ability to assess learning/skill/practice gaps and facilitate creation of learning opportunities to bridge gaps
- Ability to supports staff in combining innovation and technology
- Uniform No
- Scrubs No
- Business professional Yes
- Other (department approved) No
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. DIsaster, Severe Weather Events, etc) regardless of selection below.
- On Call* No
**Travel specifications may vary by department**
- May require travel within the Houston Metropolitan area Yes
- May require travel outside Houston Metropolitan area No
As one of the nation’s leading hospitals and academic medical centers, Houston Methodist has brought together some of the nation’s leading experts in multiple specialties to serve our patients. Houston Methodist Specialty Physician Group employs over 800 physicians at more than 150 locations across Houston. Our specialists are on the forefront of research, developing leading-edge technologies and treatments, and teaching the medical pioneers of tomorrow. The combination of clinical service, research and academics ensure patients have access to the latest treatments and technologies while providing the best comprehensive patient care.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.
Houston Methodist Baytown Hospital, Baytown, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Surgical Pathology Technician position is responsible for working under the direction of a Pathologist, performing the gross examination and description of gross-only specimens and surgical biopsy specimens (not requiring dissection or sectioning). This position reports to appropriate HM entity management.
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Registered Nurse (RN) II Department Premium position a licensed staff nurse, an experienced clinician, functions at the Competent to Proficient stage of Benner's model of clinical practice. The RN II Department Premium position is responsible for providing professional nursing care to a diverse patient population, conducting …
Houston Methodist Sugar Land Hospital, Sugar Land, TX
At Houston Methodist, the Endoscopy Technician I (Endo Tech) position, under the direction of a Registered Nurse and/or physician, provides support to the gastroenterology (GI) providers and other members of the healthcare team and is directly involved in patient care before, during and after procedures. This position assists with gastroenterology …